Re: How do I trace hanging "connect / as sysdba"?

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:16:02 +0100

pcroft wrote:
> I am having problems with Oracle 9.2 on a newly-built pc running w2k
> server. The software alone installed OK but I can't create a database.
> To cut a long story short it hangs on this:
> sqlplus /nolog
> connect / as sysdba .. hangs
> Excuse my ignorance but can somone please tell me what happens
> precisely on this connect so I know where to look, and how can I trace
> the activity causing it to hang?
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> Peter Croft

How long did you allow it to hang?
How do you try to create a database?
How experienced are you with Oracle?
If you have little to no experience, fire up the Database Creation Assistant (dbca). Go through the screens, and on the last screen (#12 if memory serves), make sure you also save the scripts.
You can use the scripts to:

- study what it takes to create a database
- switch off options (comment out parts of the script)
- modify and create yet another database
- create a database one step at the time.

One thing you will notice, is that windows requires the creation of services. One service is the oracle engine itself, and initially that service is *not* autostarting.
Check if you can find something called OracleserviceORCL; the "ORCL" is actually the SID; you may have chosen something different (how about TEST? :) ). If found, make sure the service is started.

Then, open the command line interface ("DOS-box"), and: c:\>set oracle_sid=ORCL (or what else you found as SID) c:\>sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

That should work now - if not, post the exact error.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...