Re: Oracle RAC for scalability or High Availability only

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 14 Feb 2006 14:24:09 -0800

>Add 2 850 MHz procs and 2GB RAM to an SMP box: quoted at $150K

I've seen hp boxes much cheaper than that (I'm working on a 4 processor just now that was half that a year ago). Add in the costs of the RAC licenses, the expertise required to administer it, bizarro ping and other cpu burning issues, bugs and so forth, and for a small shop Mogen's You Probably Don't Need RAC paper looks mighty sensible.

Not to mention how many network cards I've seen go out in the past year on all the pc's.

While I don't claim it isn't a scalability solution, I agree with the OP's acquantance for places that are growing slowly and predictably, running well-seasoned server-centric apps - if you are sized such that you can use this type of system, it makes sense to scale the server.

There are certainly places that shouldn't be running RAC, because they haven't accounted for the added issues. You can kind of tell from the desperation in their want-ads.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39252292,00.htm