Re: Oracle RAC for scalability or High Availability only

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:47:56 -0800

Joel Garry wrote:

>>Add 2 850 MHz procs and 2GB RAM to an SMP box: quoted at $150K

> I've seen hp boxes much cheaper than that

I'm working off a PowerPoint slide presentation internally developed at HP, branded by HP with, their copyright and logo. It may not be their current pricing. But it definitely was not that long ago.

What is the best price you can get for a 10 CPU box and then adding 2 more?

I can do it with RAC beginning at $15,000 and the additional 2 CPUs will cost another $3K for a total of $18K.

The Oracle EE license cost is per CPU so it isn't part of the equation.

The RAC license cost is 1/2 of the EE licenses and is.

But more importantly. You only have one box and zero failover. So double the cost on your side, make that 2x10CPU boxes and be sure you have the EE licenses for them. Then add DataGuard for failover.

RAC is very reasonably priced when you consider everything required.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org