Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 13 Feb 2006 13:35:42 -0800

Tony Rogerson wrote:

> In life, you do not repeat a sentance back to the person you have just
> listened to in order to reply or give your opinion.

You mean, you haven't heard of "active listening?" You should try it. It is based on the precept that people don't listen to most of what is said, and alter what they do hear. So, if you repeat back a concept in your own words, you give feedback to the other how well you understood what they said.

I didn't bother to give more specific examples of SQL-Servers' shortcomings because it has already been cross-flamed to death (and even discussed rationally in Tom Kyte's books). I was just posting the executive summary. Which, as Noons alluded, is probably beyond what can be inferred from the OP.

The point about having a high volume AND read consistency being difficult is an important one. If you have two people sitting next to each other and one is quoted at $1.15/share and the other at $1.08/share, you have big, big problems.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Bob Costas makes sweet love to Grandma Luge." - heard on radio.