Re: Designing indexes

From: News <Contact_404_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 9 Feb 2006 10:13:36 -0800

HansF a écrit :

> The only two tools I have seen that help here are experience and
> understanding of the application/environment (eg: intelligence).

There's no problem with experience and understanding. The problem is the huge amount of tables, over 700 working tables needed for ETL jobs that populate 1.5TB data warehouse, and many thousands of queries against these tables. Actually developers create indexes when needed and we ended up with tens of indexes for each table that degrade performance since Oracle is not able to choose the right one. To put order manually in such a mess will take many months.

> Although - from Oracle - the Enterprise Manager Diagnostic Pack,
> specifically AWR and ADDM in 10g, is an attempt to assist with this
> requirement.

I used EM and don't remember it gives hints about indexes. If it does, this will assume dropping all indexes and letting EM make suggestions ?

Also, I'm not able to run 10g EM on AIX 5.2... After creating directories that EM was looking for and copying appropriate files into them, "emctl start dbconsole" now results in:

Agent is already started. Will restart the agent

Stopping agent ................................. failed.
Starting Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Database Control ....ormi port value <rmi-server port= is erroneous.

Any idea ? Received on Thu Feb 09 2006 - 12:13:36 CST