Re: Import oradata files

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 8 Feb 2006 19:06:00 -0800

Chuck wrote:
> fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:
> >
> > Usually one would:
> >
> > 1) Install the required version of the Oracle software on the new
> > server.
> > 2) Copy the old database files to the new server.
> > 3) Ensure the environment is set up properly then connect to, and
> > startup, the database.
> > (This would be for *nix systems; Windows requires some services to
> > be created/started
> > before connections to the database are allowed.)
> >
> > This is a classic example of cloning a database, covered here many
> > times with detailed instructions available in the archive.
> >

> Classic example of cloning *if* copies of all files are both available
> and consistent. Otherwise you have a mess on your hands that you may or
> may not be able to recover.
>
> --
> To reply by email remove "_nospam"

I agree and I admit I was remiss not mentioning that in my post. Somehow in reading through the original I took 'salvage from the hard disk the oracle directories,
and specifically the oradata directory' as meaning consistent copies, something I should not have done.

Thank you for catching my omission.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Feb 08 2006 - 21:06:00 CST