Re: ETL between 2 Oracle 9i databases?

From: Bart the bear <bartthebear_at_gmail.com>
Date: 3 Feb 2006 07:17:49 -0800

Daniel.Brian.Ellis_at_gmail.com wrote:
> I am from the SQL Server world and I'm very confused regarding my
> options. I have 2 Oracle 9i databases, each running on a Sun Solaris 9
> box. A typical situation will involve pulling data from database A,
> doing simple transforms and inserting the data into database B. This
> process would only need to run nightly or weekly and would not require
> it to be real-time. If I was on SQL Server I could do this with Data
> Transformation Services. What are my options with Oracle? I would
> prefer to just write a stored procedure or two but I'm not sure what
> the rules and standard practices are for all of this. Thanks in
> advance for any help.

You should swim with the streams. Oracle*Streams, to be precise. It's logminer on steroids, it can replicate data from one database to another and transform it along the way. It is described in the documentation
on http://docs.oracle.com and there is also a book by Madhu Tumma in Rampant Books edition. Received on Fri Feb 03 2006 - 09:17:49 CST