Re: Enterprise Manager on 10gR2

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: 02 Feb 2006 08:41:47 GMT

ewong <ewong_at_mail.com> wrote:
> I did an installation of Oracle 10gR2 database Enterprise Edition on
> Windows XP. This is really the first time I play around 10g. So I
> installed all components including "Oracle Enterprise Manager Console
> DB". However, I can't find the Enterprise Manager console in the
> program start menu and I can't seem to locate the executable. Where
> can I find the Enterprise Manager? Is it a seperate product in 10g?

It is a bit confusing, and reading the manual (as someone else suggested) is a good idea.

Basically the matter is this: without much fuss Oracle has deprecated the old Enterprise Manager and introduced a new product, also called Enterprise Manager so that things are not too understandable at first glance.

The new Enterprise Manager comes with a web server and an application server and is a web application with all the good and bad things that go with such a thing.

You start it with 'emctl start dbconsole' (at least in UNIX, maybe the procedure is different for Windows, read the documentation) and point a web browser to the correct port (you can find that port with 'emctl status dbconsole').

If you want to have the old Enterprise Manager Client you are accustomed to, you must get the Client CD and install it from there.

But be aware that recent features of Oracle will not be managable with the old Enterprise Manager and probably never will be.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe Received on Thu Feb 02 2006 - 02:41:47 CST