Re: Oracle IO tuning tips/practices on Windows

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 1 Feb 2006 16:22:27 -0800

NetComrade wrote:
> Can anyone point to a useful resource on tuning IO for Oracle on
> Windows?

Nial Litchfield was puting together a compilation of resources for tuning Oracle on Windows. Perhaps you can swing around his website and ask?
http://www.orawin.info/services/index.php

> I've never dealt with Oracle on Windows before, but someone asked to
> help them out with IO performance problems (they can get the dell
> powervault SCSI disk array to push data to about 80Megs/sec at the
> (same) time when Oracle is only pushing about 20M/sec)

Check that the Oracle datafiles are in dedicated disk partition(s) that does not have any other Windows-related files in it. Check that these partition(s) was/were created and formatted with a sector
size that matches the database block size (8K?). Make sure it's not a case of "all database files in one drive". Make sure no one has put a Windows paging file in the same disk drive as the database. Make sure the db server is not being used as well as a backup domain controller, file server, print server or worst of all, a PDC. Microsoft recommends against any of these being used as database servers for SQL Server and it's also valid for Oracle.

>From the figures you quoted, it looks like there is a lot of
physical IO going on for only 300 rows returned. Some SQL tuning to reduce the amount of IO needed might be the order of the day? Look into indexing as well: could be excessive range scanning in which case more selective indexing might be appropriate. Received on Wed Feb 01 2006 - 18:22:27 CST