Re: Oracle IO tuning tips/practices on Windows

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 14:10:51 -0500

On 1 Feb 2006 16:22:27 -0800, "Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>NetComrade wrote:
>> Can anyone point to a useful resource on tuning IO for Oracle on
>> Windows?
>
>Nial Litchfield was puting together a compilation of resources
>for tuning Oracle on Windows. Perhaps you can swing around
>his website and ask?
>http://www.orawin.info/services/index.php

Nial needs to tune her blog software a bit :) Thanks for the link

>> I've never dealt with Oracle on Windows before, but someone asked to
>> help them out with IO performance problems (they can get the dell
>> powervault SCSI disk array to push data to about 80Megs/sec at the
>> (same) time when Oracle is only pushing about 20M/sec)
>

>Check that the Oracle datafiles are in dedicated disk partition(s)
>that does not have any other Windows-related files in it.

The db is on the array, OS on local disks

>Check that these partition(s) was/were created and formatted with a
>sector
>size that matches the database block size (8K?).

That's why i needed some Ora/Win resource, I have no idea how to check those things on Windows.

>Make sure it's not a case of "all database files in one drive".

It's SAME.. RAID 10 across 12 disks (6disk stripe)

>Make sure no one has put a Windows paging file in the same disk drive
>as the database. Make sure the db server is not being used as well
>as a backup domain controller, file server, print server or worst of
>all, a PDC. Microsoft recommends against any of these being used
>as database servers for SQL Server and it's also valid for Oracle.

Nah, this is a new machine and a new array bought just for the purpose to offload some reporting off production machines.

>>From the figures you quoted, it looks like there is a lot of
>physical IO going on for only 300 rows returned.
>Some SQL tuning to reduce the amount of IO needed might be
>the order of the day? Look into indexing as well: could be excessive
>range scanning in which case more selective indexing might
>be appropriate.

SQL tuning is not an option :) (I wouldn't touch the SQL I saw) I know SQL tuning might be able to help, but this is a reporting database, and IO is obviously a problem.

We run Oracle 9.2.0.6 on RH4 AMD
remove NSPAM to email Received on Thu Feb 02 2006 - 13:10:51 CST