Extents and Segment space management

From: <DMina_at_laiki.com>
Date: 30 Jan 2006 23:15:53 -0800

Hello,

I have two issues that i need some opinions.

Issue 1
I was investigating the export command that i have running on the preprod and prod environment
of Asset Finance and the impact of the Export parameter COMPRESS=Y on the tables created on the locally managed tablespace

>From what i have read this concept doesn't work for tables in Locally
Managed
Tablespaces. The COMPRESS=Y operation is ignored for segments in Locally Managed Tablespaces and does not have any impact on the INITIAL EXTENT of the table being exported. The INITIAL extent will remain the same as the table's INITIAL extent.

Our tablespaces are all Locally Managed. Now how can i reduce the number of extents doing again an export and import to a new environment?

I know that there is a command to change the locally managed tablespaces to dictionary managed using

DBMS_SPACE_ADMIN.TABLESPACE_MIGRATE_FROM_LOCAL If the above command executes successfully then i will export the db with compress=y
and then change it backup to locally managed using

DBMS_SPACE_ADMIN.TABLESPACE_MIGRATE_TO_LOCAL Is there any other way to bypass this problem?

Issue 2
Our production tablespaces have their Segment Space Management set to Automatic.
Is there a relation with the above setting (to set it to Manual) and how the DBMS_STATS command behaves?

My database version is 9i Rel 2 and its running on AIX5.2

thanks Received on Tue Jan 31 2006 - 01:15:53 CST