Re: Extents and Segment space management

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 Jan 2006 01:07:27 -0800

1 Compress=Y in dictionary managed tablespaces is one of the main reasons for space management related incidents. Your tablespace becomes fragmented.
In a locally managed tablespace using compress=Y doesn't make sense. Oracle introduced locally managed tablespaces, because dictionary managed tablespaces are causing all kind of space management related incidents.
Changing a locally managed tablespace to dictionary managed doesn't make sense, and is not possible if your SYSTEM tablespace is locally managed.
In Oracle 10g dictionary managed tablespaces no longer exist. So I don't know what you are trying to accomplish, except running into more problems.
I can only hope you don't still believe more than 1 extent is bad. This is a MYTH.
2 There is no relation. The configuration of the tablespace is irrelevant to dbms_stats.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA