Re: Help: Can not set remote_login_passwordfile=none

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 16:51:55 +0100

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 14:17:42 GMT, "NewRacGuy" <NewRacGuy(nospam)@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Of course as sysdba, otherwise I would not even post it here.
>
>This is what I did.
>
>sqlplus /nolog
>connect sys as sysdba
>shutdown immediate
>Now, edit init file, change remote_login_passwordfile from exclusive to
>none,
>sqlplus /nolog
>connect sys as sysdba
>startup
>"insuficient privilege"
>Now, edit init file, change remote_login_passwordfile from none to exclusive
>again
>sqlplus /nolog
>connect sys as sysdba
>startup
>And this time it is started fine.
>
>Could anybody help? Thanks

Fact 1
remote_login_passwordfile=exclusive relies on a passwordfile Fact 2
As this setting works, you do have a password file Fact 3
remote_login_passwordfile relies on O/S authentication Fact 4
O/S authentication doesn't work on that system

O/S authentication relies on

- Oracle installed using the local administrator
- the presence of a local ora_dba privilege group
- sqlnet.ora has

   sqlnet.authentication_services=(nts)
- the environment variable (preferred) or registry key (not preferred) ORACLE_SID has been set.

And evidently, this is documented, and has been published over and over and over again here.
Yet, still people fail to read documentation, fail to search Usenet, and start shouting 'bug!!' immediately when something goes wrong, and they further demonstrate their basic laziness by top-posting and wasting bandwith.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA