Re: user access to create tables

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2006 16:39:34 -0800

Original Poster wrote:

>I am very new to oracle and I am trying to give 7 users the ability to
>create tables (this is for a DB class).

What kind of db class would someone new to oracle be teaching?

Bart the Bear wrote:

>Well, V6 advice is OK, if it works. There are many old things in
>Oracle, like RBO that are still there and still work.

There are many old things in the world that still work. Let's all grab some 10-gauges and gun for bear at the zoo. (Apologies if anyone has come from somewhere where this has happened).

Martin Doherty wrote:

>Note the context of the OP request, it's a DB class (probably
>beginners). There is no data to secure (unless the teacher is keeping
>test scores in there) and the instance will probably be dropped after
>the class, so the over-granting of privileges in this context is hardly
>a problem and possibly a help.

I'd go beyond Daniel's answer here, and point out at least some of these beginners are probably quite capable of finding some worm that is plastered all over the media, and there's always one clown...

Prashant wrote:

>Are there any standard set of privileges or they should be granted as required
>only.

You might want to google this group ( or http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/pdf/twp_security_checklist_db_database.pdf ) and see which standard sets are bad. Not only should they only be granted as required, the requirements should be closely monitored.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://code.google.com/webstats/index.html