Re: user access to create tables

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:51:09 -0800

Martin Doherty wrote:

>> Show 'em good habits from the beginning.  Perhaps enough will follow the
>> example and some day we'll get out of the viral death spiral we find in
>> the industry.
>> Teach 'em quick and dirty, and I gotta ask - will they ever take the
>> time to do it right?
>>

> I do agree, it would depend on what the scope of the class is. If it is
> to cover privileges non-cursorily, then the actual privileges granted to
> the students will become a topic of discussion and demonstration, and
> should therefore receive more attention than just GRANT CONNECT,
> RESOURCE. Good point.

I completely disagree. No user should ever be granted CONNECT or RESOURCE. Doing so is a horrible habit used by lazy DBAs and given that Oracle has completely redefined CONNECT with 10gR2 it would be both bad practice and worthless. If someone needs to create tables grant them CREATE TABLE ... not CREATE PROCEDURE and CREATE TRIGGER, etc. which is what you are suggesting.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org