Re: user access to create tables

From: Martin Doherty <martin.doherty_at_undisclosed.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:59:51 -0500

HansF wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:29:26 -0500, Martin Doherty wrote:
>
>>Note the context of the OP request, it's a DB class (probably
>>beginners). There is no data to secure (unless the teacher is keeping
>>

>While I agree that it is a context sensitive variant, part of me asks
>"Why teach them insecure methods in the first place?"
>
>IMNSHO:
>
>Show 'em good habits from the beginning. Perhaps enough will follow the
>example and some day we'll get out of the viral death spiral we find in
>the industry.
>
>Teach 'em quick and dirty, and I gotta ask - will they ever take the
>time to do it right?

I do agree, it would depend on what the scope of the class is. If it is to cover privileges non-cursorily, then the actual privileges granted to the students will become a topic of discussion and demonstration, and should therefore receive more attention than just GRANT CONNECT, RESOURCE. Good point. Received on Wed Jan 25 2006 - 11:59:51 CST