RMAN 8i question - Disaster Recovery and online redo logs...

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Jan 2006 11:06:47 -0800

Hi, all.

I'm still (gak) working through various permutations of rman functionality (8i on AIX).

At this point, I'm trying a full-on disaster recovery: backup the db with rman, blow it away, and restore/recover with rman.

My basic process is listed below. The symptom I am finding is that when I do the restore, rman fails to recover because it cannot find the online redo log file. I see that rman does not include the online redo logs in its backup (no redo*.dbf files are listed in the backup set).

Obviously my process is flawed and my understanding of rman is lacking, but I do not see how I can do a full disaster recovery when not all the required files are being included in the rman backup. Can someone quicly scan my process below, and suggest what I am missing?

Thanks for all feedback!!

NOTE: The backup listed below is an incremental level 0; I retried with "full" and the redo*.dbf files were once again not included.

*STEP 1 - confirm status of archive logging

SID1> archive log list

Database log mode              Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Enabled
Archive destination            /rs02/oradata/SID1/archivelogs/arch
Oldest online log sequence     1
Next log sequence to archive   2
Current log sequence           2

*STEP 2 - Commit change to db
*STEP 3 - alter system switch logfile
*STEP 4 - Check archive log folder

SID1:server:/bkup01/rman_backup/SID1> ls -lrt /rs02/oradata/SID1/archivelogs/arch
total 12544
-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 6336512 Jan 19 09:41 1_SID1_1.dbf

**DB SHOULD BE READY**

*STEP 5 - set nls_date_format in shell

set nls_date_format='YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'; export nls_date_format

*STEP 6 - backup db with rman

rman nocatalog target /

run {allocate channel d1 type disk format '/bkup01/rman_backup/${ORACLE_SID}/${ORACLE_SID}_full_%s.bak';

     sql "alter session set nls_date_format=''YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS''";
     backup incremental level 0 database;
     backup archivelog all;}

*STEP 7 - backup control file and password file externally

*STEP 8 - shutdown db, delete all dbf files and the archive log file
(simulate disaster)

*STEP 9 - recover control file to all locations identified in init.ora

*STEP 10 - restore db with rman

startup mount
rman nocatalog target /
run {allocate channel ch1 type disk;

     sql "alter session set nls_date_format=''YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS''";

     restore database;
     switch datafile all;
     recover database;}

**predictable parts of rman log clipped**

RMAN-08054: starting media recovery
RMAN-08059: media recovery failed
RMAN-03026: error recovery releasing channel resources
RMAN-08031: released channel: ch1
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure during compilation of command
RMAN-03013: command type: recover
RMAN-03006: non-retryable error occurred during execution of command:
recover(3)
RMAN-07004: unhandled exception during command execution on channel default
RMAN-10032: unhandled exception during execution of job step 1: ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors RMAN-11003: failure during parse/execution of SQL statement: alter database recover if needed
start
RMAN-11001: Oracle Error: ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors
ORA-00313: open failed for members of log group 1 of thread 1
ORA-00312: online log 1 thread 1: '/fs04/oradata/SID1/redo_log_1b.dbf'
ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status

IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 2: No such file or directory Additional information: 3
ORA-00312: online log 1 thread 1: '/fs03/oradata/SID1redo_log_1a.dbf' ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status
IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 2: No such file or directory Additional information: 3 Received on Thu Jan 19 2006 - 13:06:47 CST