Re: how to tell RMAN to look at different location for ARCH_LOG backup piece.

From: <dominica_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Jan 2006 11:06:16 -0800

hpuxrac wrote:
> dominica_at_gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I need to do a recover , not that urgent.
> > (my version is 8.1.7.4 32 bit on unix , solaris)
> >

> > Basically, my production db is running fine except
> > some users just want one table's information from dec,01,2005
> > (they want to look at something on that day, long story).
> >
> > That table is like 100 million row on a 100 GIG tablespace ABC.
> > I am going to use a different unix host (server DB9).
> >
> > The major method is to get back all the backed-up-pieces from TAPE and
> > to a
> > new filesystem with different mount point than the one that I backed-up
> > from.
> > That is all the confusion begin.
> >
> > I plan to copy the archive-log-in-backup-pieces and all the
> > dbf's-backup-pieces from tape to some TEMP LOCATION in my new machine.
> >
> > My question is originally, the
> > archive-log-backup-pieces are backed-up from
> > /au3 from the REAL PRODUCTION MACHINE.
> >
> > now my new machine has
> > /archive-log-temp3
>
> Is the /au3 mount point really being used on your machine you are
> recovering on?
>
> If not you can create a symbolic link
>
> ln -s /archive-log-temp3 /au3

Yes, you are right , we could play with the SYMLINK or I could tell RMAN to look from a different location.

Actually I am so confused about the whole process (like which controlfile should I use)?

Last night, I did call my work's consultant, and he told me.. in high-level.
So I need to narrow down to the EXACT syntax to tell RMAN to look somewhere else.

Thank you for your help, you always answerm my question, I do appreciate that.

Dominica Received on Thu Jan 19 2006 - 13:06:16 CST