Re: Which Linux?

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 13:43:05 +0100

jbmorla_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read from Oracle technology Network that Linux Red Hat Fedora 4 is
> recommended to install 10 G 2.
> So I downloaded the five ISO files from the Fedora site.
> The documentation suddenly indicates that I have to boot from the CD
> drive with a "boot.iso" file.
> Unfortunately, it doesnot tell how to make this image on a CD R
> Also I read a few postings from the fedora mailing lists and many user
> give out and declare they just won't go near Fedora any more because of
> silly problems.
> So my question is: Anyone installed 10 G 2 on a given Linux and lives
> happy ever after?
>
> Have a nice day

If you created the CD's from the iso downloads, CD 1 should be bootable - iso is a complete image.

Apart from that, Fedora is not on the list of supported software - one of the things Fedora suffers from is that it is on the move, and there are too many releases per year.

In stead, there are several no cost Red Hat Server derivate s, like White Box Linux; iso images at
http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/download.html

Just read the Oracle installation as if it were Red Hat Advanced Server (RHAS). I recommend the version 3 of WBL (a.k.a. RHAS 3).

And your "silly" problems may well be written about on Werner Puschitz' pages (http://www.puschitz.com/), an excellent site on Linux in general, and Oracle on Linux in particular

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel