Re: Listener help for a n00b.

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:42:16 +0100

Ben Bowen wrote:
> Hi all. I'm trying to configure a listener between a couple of servers
> and am having all sorts of issues. I'm quite new at this and was hoping
> someone could shed some light on the way listeners work. I have the
> master database (db1) in which I want to create links to DBs on slave
> boxes (db2 & db3)
>
> _______
> | | |---> db2
> | db1 |----------|
> |_____| |---> db3
>
> The DBs are part of a distributed application, and the parts are
> installed automatically. I have a listener.ora file on all 3 boxes and
> they are all the same. However, the lsnrctl executable is only
> available on db1. The listener.ora file contains info for db2 and db3.
>
> Do I need listeners on all 3 servers? There is no db1 listener on the
> db1 server, as shown by the listener.ora file. I created the link to
> db2 from db1 by the command:
>
> CREATE DATABASE LINK db2 CONNECT TO db1 IDENTIFIED BY db1 USING '
> db2.world';
>

> When I try to start the listener for db2 or db3 on the db1 server I
> get:
>
> --------------------------------
> ocs-smp linus>lsnrctl start db2_SEF
>
> LSNRCTL for Solaris: Version 8.1.7.2.0 - Production on 06-JAN-2006
> 10:21:17
>
> (c) Copyright 1998 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> Starting /in/oracle/bin/tnslsnr: please wait...
>
> TNSLSNR for Solaris: Version 8.1.7.2.0 - Production
> System parameter file is /in/oracle/network/admin/listener.ora
> Log messages written to /dev/null
> Attempted to listen on:
> (ADDRESS=(COMMUNITY=TCP.world)(PROTOCOL=TCP)(Host=db2_net8)(Port=1526))
> TNS-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist
> TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
> TNS-00515: Connect failed because target host or object does not
> exist
> Solaris Error: 126: Cannot assign requested address
> --------------------------------
>
> If I could understand exactly what is supposed to be happening, it
> might help me figure out what changes need to be made. Sorry if this is
> a bit confusing. It is for me as well.
>
> Thanks.

What does a 'ping db2_net8' reveal?

Looks like yous hosts file, or dns entries, are off: TNS-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

Besides, listeners run on the server, so you want to fire up a db2 listener ON the db2 machine. Same for db3.

PS follow-up set to cdo.server

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel