Re: RE RE: ORACLE 8.1.7.4 ENTERPRISE EDITION FOR WINDOWS 2K needed

From: Bob Bunch (OCP) <bunchb_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:04:10 -0500

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 16:52:18 -0800, fitzjarrell wrote:

> someone_at_somedomain.com.invalid wrote:

>> I am looking for oracle 8.1.7.4  EE version for Windows 32 bit. It is
>> no longer available for download from Oracle.com website. can someone
>> please post it.
>>
>> thank you

> I expect you can forget anyone posting such to this newsgroup for
> several reasons:
>
> 1) 8.1.7 is desupported.
> 2) 8.1.7.0 is no longer available for download and, I imagine, for sale
> through any Oracle sales office (this, of course, you know). 3) To
> arrive at 8.1.7.4 from 8.1.7.0 requires a patch from Metalink, and
> postiing such violates any support agreement between Oracle and the
> party you would like to have post such an item, meaning, no one is about
> to post any patchset from Metalink here, whether it is available or not,
> simply to throw away a perfectly good support contract. 4) The size of
> the distribution makes it almost impossible to 'post' here, much less
> anywhere else.
> 5) You provide no valid reason for wanting this particular release.
>
> Your idea of this newsgroup supplying software to those who want it is
> in error. You MAY be lucky and find an Oracle Sales representative who
> has a copy of the 8.1.7 distribution and will sell it to you. And that
> may be the only way to obtain this software (unless you happen to find
> some friend of yours still running it and who has the original software
> distribution).
>
> Contact Oracle Sales in your area. And stop posting your wish list
> here.
>

> David Fitzjarrell

Try finding a book on Oracle 8i that includes a CD. You'll (hopefully) end up w/ EE or PE (personal edition).

I'm in the same boat; I've found myself working on an ancient project that's still using this arcane version of Oracle (can't upgrade; I can't make that decision, it's up to the customer), and go figure -- I chucked all my copies of 817/EE/NT about a month before I got recruited to go back to that project! :(

Murphy works in mysterious (though always painful) ways! ;) Received on Fri Dec 30 2005 - 09:04:10 CST