Re: Reference data manitenance tool?

From: Thomas Kellerer <WVIJEVPANEHT_at_spammotel.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:49:23 +0100

Tautology wrote on 28.12.2005 01:15:
> I hope you will forgive me the crosspost, I was not sure where to
> better post this request!
>
> I am in need of a tool, preferably spreadsheet-like, in which others
> can maintain reference data and from which still others can easily
> generate Insert statements. Any pointers to such tool would be much
> appreciated!
>
> For example, if I have a table with columns
> RegionID NUMBER NOT NULL
> RegionName VARCHAR2(30) NOT NULL
> MajorCity VARCHAR2(30) NULL
>
> I want to be able to give this "tool" to a "territory designer," have
> him or her enter the data he would need, then get the file/tool back
> and generate a bunch of insert statements that I can use in SQL*Plus or
> TOAD to push the data into a number of environments where the table
> exists. I am not looking for whiz-bang tool, $$$ to spend, etc. I am
> looking for cheap/free, simple, robust and clear to non-technical
> users. I have put together an Excel spreadsheet that kind of does it,
> but I'd rather not reinvent this if it already exists.

Why not generate a CSV File (sure TOAD can do that) send that as an Excel file, after getting it back, convert the XLS to CSV and import it using TOAD?

As an alternative, use a non-Oracle SQL Tool that can connect to a Excel Sheet (any tool with ODBC support should be able to do that) and that can generate INSERTs automatically (most of the tools I have seen can do that)

Thomas Received on Wed Dec 28 2005 - 03:49:23 CST