Reference data manitenance tool?

From: Tautology <SQLTautology_at_xemaps.com>
Date: 27 Dec 2005 16:15:52 -0800

I hope you will forgive me the crosspost, I was not sure where to better post this request!

I am in need of a tool, preferably spreadsheet-like, in which others can maintain reference data and from which still others can easily generate Insert statements. Any pointers to such tool would be much appreciated!

For example, if I have a table with columns RegionID NUMBER NOT NULL
RegionName VARCHAR2(30) NOT NULL
MajorCity VARCHAR2(30) NULL

I want to be able to give this "tool" to a "territory designer," have him or her enter the data he would need, then get the file/tool back and generate a bunch of insert statements that I can use in SQL*Plus or TOAD to push the data into a number of environments where the table exists. I am not looking for whiz-bang tool, $$$ to spend, etc. I am looking for cheap/free, simple, robust and clear to non-technical users. I have put together an Excel spreadsheet that kind of does it, but I'd rather not reinvent this if it already exists.

I apologize if this sounds vague -- I did not want to make the description restrictive so that a good tool might fall through its cracks.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!
Happy Holidays!
T. Received on Tue Dec 27 2005 - 18:15:52 CST