Re: Batch insert data into oracle from text file.

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 09:48:09 -0800

"Scarab" <yw_at_lucent.com> wrote in message news:donusn$5um_at_netnews.net.lucent.com...
> Thanks to all of your reply.
>
> I really need to write an application to finish the importing work, and I
> wonder whether OCI can be used.
> What are external tables in ORACKE mean? Thanks.
>

> "Mladen Gogala" <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:45:27 +0800, Scarab wrote:
> >
> > > Because I have about 3G files to import every day, so performance is
> greatly
> > > valued.
> >
> > If you can make directories where the files reside available to the
> > database server (not always possible), you can use external tables.
> > That is the best and the most inexpensive solution.
> >
> > --
> > http://www.mgogala.com

Stop top posting. It makes it hard to follow. Look up external tables in the documentation. (otn.oracle.com) Basically, it is a file outside the database that you tell the database what the structure of it is. Then you can access it from Oracle just like a table in Oracle except you can't create indexes or write to it.
Jim Received on Mon Dec 26 2005 - 11:48:09 CST