Re: File transfer through the database

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 15:51:08 GMT

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:00:45 +0100, Eric de Redelijkheid wrote:

> Oracle 9iR2 Enterprise edition on Tru64 5.1B

Realize it possibly doesn't help you right now, but some ideas that might influence the decision process:

  1. Oracle's XMLDB component includes an HTTP/FTP/DAV server. I have not used the 9i version so I can not talk about it's scalability or reliability. The one in 10gR2 is the server for the HTMLDB and is solid enough that Oracle eliminated Apache from the 10gR2 database install.

It's known as the Oracle XML DB Protocol Server, and is described in the "Oracle9i XML Database Developer's Guide - Oracle XML DB Release 2 (9.2)" Chapter 19
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/appdev.920/a96620/xdb24pro.htm#1026106

Best part is that it is included for free in the database at any edition (including XE) and uses the database listener to listen for FTP and HTTP requests.

2) The 10g "DBMS_FILE_TRANSFER" package might have some application, although it also has requirements that restrict the areas where it might be used. (I do not recall seeing it in the 9i docco.)

3) The 9i and up "UTL_TCP" invites interesting challenges, such as duplicating FTP, for the daring codist. (No, I'm not seriously suggesting this. But many are not even aware of this package.)

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com