Re: Oracle Licensing Question

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 23 Dec 2005 13:32:42 -0800

Mark Townsend wrote:

>Another way to look at this - you are driving an un-registered car. The
>car has not been registered for 5 years. Today you are in an accident.
>Your insurance is void because the car is not registered. Do you now
>think you could now go to the DMV and pay for this years registration,
>and have your insurance now cover you ?

To clarify: The unhappy customer was not using the licenses, just keeping them in reserve should the postponed project ever be reanimated. Since he has had to give them up, Oracle will never be used should the project ever go ahead, even though the customer was quite willing to pay any license reactivation fees should the need arise (and indeed said that was what he wanted to do, in writing, to Oracle).

Funnily enough, I think my insurance policies are explicit about not covering uninsured cars at my dwelling, either by auto or home policies. I imagine they've been burned by this in the past. But you can insure without registering, in fact you have to in order to register, where I live.

I can't understand why Oracle would want to upset _honest_ customers who have bought more licenses than they currently use.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/w00kie/sets/180637/show/