Re: NEWBIE QUESTION: BEST WAY TO LEARN ORACLE DB

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:27:05 -0800

Niraj Agarwalla wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I'm a Business Analyst, and I need to learn Oracle for my job.
> Unfortunately, the company is stingy about paying for training, so I'm
> left to my own devices.
>
> Is it better to download Oracle 10g Express Edition, grab a manual, and
> learn on my own; or should I undertake formal training, i.e. classroom,
> etc. I'll have to pay my own way, but if it's a better route, I'll
> take it.

Best to download the full 10gR2 Enterprise Edition.

No one is going to hire you to work with Express Edition any time soon.

> I know SQL pretty well, but not Oracle's flavor of SQL. Can I teach
> myself?

Others have. I presume you can too. I'd suggest Tom Kyte's books to start and Jonathan Lewis's books when you feel comfortable.

Lots of working demos of Oracle technology at www.psoug.org click on Morgan's Library

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org