Re: NEWBIE QUESTION: BEST WAY TO LEARN ORACLE DB

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Dec 2005 13:54:43 -0800

Niraj Agarwalla wrote:

>Is it better to download Oracle 10g Express Edition, grab a manual, and
>learn on my own; or should I undertake formal training, i.e. classroom,
>etc. I'll have to pay my own way, but if it's a better route, I'll
>take it.

Different people learn best in different ways. As a gross generalization though, I'd say follow Daniel's advice, plus take a class after you've played around with it for a few weeks and gone through http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/start/index.html Tom Kyte's books are especially good since you may have to unlearn some bad habits other flavors of SQL may have given you, and he explains those differences clearly.

If you are studious, and especially if you haven't taken a course on relational databases, check out the Concepts Manual (docs are available free http://tahiti.oracle.com ). You should plan on reading it every few years anyways. Being able to navigate docs and online help is one of the most useful practical Oracle skills.

See some more adivce: http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
If a billion Chinese people all went online at once... hmmm, judging