Re: SAN versus NAS versus direct attached storage

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 14:16:45 -0800

goyald_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Mark
> My question was aimed towards both Oracle and SQL server (and towards
> database in general). NAS is getting cheaper and I recently bought one
> for my home. EMC, Dell and several NAS vendor claim that it is an
> acceptable/cost effective solution for database storage. However, I am
> not able to find any performance comparison. Oracle doesn't make a
> clear statement either way.
>
> thanks

You can not point a question such as this to both Oracle and SQL Server as the rules of engagement are entirely different. SQL Server is brain damaged by virtue of being a Windows only platform. And, with respect to the comment about clustering, clustering with respect to SQL Server and clustering with respect to Oracle describe two entirely different concepts and technologies.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org