Re: 'Oracle Internet Directory' - Complete in-memory database??

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:16:27 GMT

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 08:26:47 -0800, qazmlp1209 wrote:

> In my understanding, Oracle RDBMS is not a complete in-memory database.
> Allotting a large System Global Area(SGA) will just make large part of
> the database to be loaded into memory, but still the updates will be
> written onto the Disks.

Oracle Server (aka Oracle Database) has been around since the late 70s as a disk based Relational-model database manager. The SGA is used to provide in memory buffering and update area.

Loading a 'large part' of the database is relative - Oracle comfortably manages terabytes of data and I have yet to see any terabyte, or near terabyte, memory systems.

> So, storing in-memory completely is ruled out for Oracle RDBMS. But,
> what about for 'Oracle Internet Directory'? I would like to know
> whether it is possible to make the 'Oracle Internet Directory' data
> completely in in-memory.

Oracle Internet Directory is simply a LDAP-v3 comliant system that happens to use thin LDAP servers to access a custom schema in the ORacle server. OiD benefits include reliability, ultra high availability and little need for replication. Performance for puny LDAP directories is not the best on the market (although it is reasonable), however performance for enterprise directories with 500M unreplicated entries is quite acceptable compared to the others in the market.

If you really want an in-memory database, look at Oracle's Times-Ten product.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com