Re: PHP5 and Oracle 10g

From: Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:02:16 +0000

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 22:31:03 -0500, PHPguy <PHP_at_donemailme.net> wrote:

>> Do they work, issued as user apache (or whatever Apache is running under)?
>
>Apache runs under root and sqlplus and tnsping work fine issued as root

 Apache may be started as root so it can bind to port 80, but it setuids down to a less privileged user (by default "nobody") and it's that user that runs all the requests (including any PHP).

 Unless you're insane or really *really* know what you're doing, and have configured "User root" in the Apache config file, but I can't think of a circumstance where that's not a really bad idea.

 (p.s. - this would have been better crossposted to comp.lang.php, not multiposted - I answered there before seeing the other copy had already been responded to here).

--
Andy Hassall :: andy@andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk
http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space :: disk and FTP usage analysis tool