Re: row vs row.column level locking

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:05:16 +0100

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:43:52 GMT, netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net (NetComrade) wrote:

>Your name will most likely be stored in a separate table if the table
>is normalized :) The PK on your account would be the account#. Unless
>there is a additional business logic, I see no issues (on the db side)
>of updating your name while you're making a deposit.

Obviously this is an example that doesn't support your 'case' at all. How about a different example:
A call has a start date, and based upon a SLA, a call to fix date. What about one process updating the call to fix (the algorithm is quite complicated, so it can't be set upon insert) and another process updating the start date?
Should that be allowed?
If that, according to you, shouldn't be allowed, please admit the concept of column level locking is quite often completely absurd.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA