Re: redhat linux , ocfs - sun solaris migration

From: Eberhard Niendorf <eberhard.niendorf_schrott_at_t-online.de>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:33:20 +0100

hopehope_123 wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I am about to migrate my database which is on redhat linux itanium 64,
> rac 9.2.0.5 ( 2 nodes) , ocfs to a sun solaris box.I use emc disk array
> and my data size is about 2tb. I need some reccommendations in order to
> do this migration as easy as possible.How can i transfer the data from
> one server to another as fast as possible? Since i use emc disk array ,
> i can copy data at emc level which is very fast , but i use ocfs , so
> is it possible to see ocfs partitions on a sun box? Or can i use
> transport tablespaces?
>
> Any recommendation wil be wellcommed.
>
> Kind Regards,
> tolga

Because of the data size of 2TB I think exp/imp or data unload/load is not possible or not feasable, is it?
Which kind of solaris box (SPARC or Intel) is it? I guess You mean SPARC-Box.
Linux IA64 is a little endian platform, Solaris on SPARC is a big endian platform. In Oracle 9i cross platform transport of tablespaces is NOT possible. --> No possibility to switch to solaris if Oracle 9i but exp/imp or manuel data unload/load.
On Oracle 10g there is a new feature for cross platform tablespace transport. The new RMAN command "convert" does the job to move tablespaces across different platforms. So You can migrate the database on IA64 to 10g and then You can transport the tablespaces to the new solaris box....

Eberhard Niendorf Received on Tue Dec 13 2005 - 11:33:20 CST