using "alter index xxx unusable"

From: Michael Peel <peelm_at_NOSPAMaccuread.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 14:22:00 GMT

Hi all,

First time caller here, so a bit nervous.

Oracle 10.1.0.4 (HPUX)

I’m building a consolidated table of about 30 million rows for a reporting type instance.

I’m using the following steps…

Mark indexes on consol table unused.
Setting skip_unusable_indexes = true for the session Truncating the consol table.
Insert using append.
Rebuild indexes.

What I’ve found is that after the truncate table statement the indexes on the table become valid. I therefore have to re-issue the alter index unusable statement, before the insert.

Not that it’s a major issue, just wondered if this was normal....

Cheers,

Michael Peel
D.B.A
I.S. Services
AccuRead LTD Received on Tue Dec 13 2005 - 08:22:00 CST