Re: JPMorgan Chase to strengthen offshoring to India

From: <docdwarf_at_panix.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 14:08:31 +0000 (UTC)

In article <i5wq9qAcTsnDFAY6_at_phaedsys.demon.co.uk>, Chris Hills <chris_at_phaedsys.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <dnm73s$31i$1_at_reader2.panix.com>, docdwarf_at_panix.com writes
>>In article <pcL4EcAyVpnDFAKG_at_phaedsys.demon.co.uk>,
>>Chris Hills <chris_at_phaedsys.demon.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

>>>Most of the world went metric a long while ago. The US will have to
>>>follow eventually.
>>
>>As a citizen of the United States of America I can feel secure in
>>responding to this with a hearty 'I dunno...'
>>
>>I recall reading an article a few years back about how there was going to
>>be a strong drive towards switching to the metric system in the USA.
>>
>>About two years after that I read another article about how Neil Armstrong
>>set foot on the moon.
>
>:-)

Glad you enjoyed.

>I know what you mean.

I barely know what *I* know, let alone others... but I try to keep in mind Wittgenstein's assertion of 'I cannot know what you mean, only what you say.'

[snip]

>I understand that parts of the US industry have gone metric already they
>are multinational. It will creep in slowly. In say another 50 years.

I look forward to being able to verify this prediction... not because I look forward to the USA 'going metric' but because, at present, I enjoy living so much that I readily see myself enjoying another half-century of doing it. My view is much simpler... when the costs of not going metric are considered to be greater than the costs of going metric the shift might stand a much better chance of occurring.

(note the subjunctive... as I am told, repeatedly by The Economist, 'Homo economicus is not necessarily a rational being.')

DD Received on Tue Dec 13 2005 - 08:08:31 CST