Examining the space allocation within individual Extents

From: Jimbo1 <nightfanguk_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 12 Dec 2005 10:31:49 -0800

Hello there,

I'm an experienced Oracle Developer who has suddenly found himself performing non-essential DBA tasks to take the heat away from our DBA team, who are currently focussing on bigger and more urgent things.

I've recently created a partitioned table. I would be interested to see the space allocation in each of the individual extents, so I can get some idea of how efficiently the extents are currently sized. I can guarantee 100% that the partitions will not grow beyond around 6.6 million rows each.

I've been able to figure out how to drill down and observe the extents allocated to each partition. In most cases, this is an initial extent of 112MB and two additional extents of 28MB apiece. I would just like to see the ratio of free space to used space in each extent, as I have the feeling that one of the 28MB extents will primarily consist of free space. As I know the partition will not grow, I'm concerned about wasted space.

I know the DBA's here can observe some kind of graphical view in Enterprise Manager to see this, but I do not have this luxury and am just using good ol' SQLPlus.

Does anybody know which data dictionary views I should consider looking at?

Thanks in advance.

James Received on Mon Dec 12 2005 - 12:31:49 CST