Re: Creating 100,000+ tables.

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 8 Dec 2005 14:58:14 -0800

Keith wrote:

>How about this.... create a Pro/C program where you can pass the number
>of instances you want to run -- say 100. Then the Pro/C program can
>fork 100 times, connect to Oracle , and execute the procedure with
>appropriate values for fromX and toY.

Wouldn't that not be any better, since Oracle is going to have to latch the system tables to serialize each table creation? Perhaps even much worse, as the latch queues grow and grow and... I think this would just be a grotesque denial of service attack, if it can even create that many processes. Then you'll deadlock as the underlying system tables need to extend (even LMT's given 500000 tables).

Since some apps have tens of thousands of tables I don't think the requirement is _inherently_ ridiculous, but I don't think it can be sped up, either. And it might be ridiculous anyways, not enough detail to know.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://inquirer.stanford.edu/2005/jstaffor/woz.html