Re: Replication - What to use?

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:07:30 +0100

gbertele wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am just charged with beginning some research and I am trying to get a
> basic idea of the best replication solution for the following type of
> situation:
>
> A reporting application wants to use our main DB to do reporting as of
> a certain moment in time, several times a day.

OK. Happens all the time...

> The main application, of course, needs to continually use that DB,

Yes - that would be nice, wouldn't it? ;)

and so, we need some sort
> of replication.

Now you lost me. Why do you need replication?

> In addition, it is likely that there is a small number of tables that
> will need to be updated live by the reporting app,

See no use here - jobs can be monitored via the standard Oracle mechanisms. But hey, if you want a report to write, be my guest.

> such as a job output
> table, which will contain details of executed jobs, both from the main
> app and reporting app.

Main app as well? Why not have a separate table, for the reporting app? KISS!

 These tables have sequences which would
> conflict if records were inserted on both sides independently, and
> resolution of that after the fact may be difficult.

No - sequences will be given out by sequence... No conflicts: one table, one sequence. Again; you probably do not need a table, and sequences are no problem!
Heck, I still fail to see the reason for replication!

> So, with that scenario, what is the best way to go? Between
> Replication (in its various forms), CDC, Streams, Logical Standby, what
> might work best? Any info is appreciated.
>
> -George

Again: no way. Just report, and use your db.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...