Replication - What to use?

From: gbertele <georgebertele_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Dec 2005 09:28:21 -0800

Hi all,

I am just charged with beginning some research and I am trying to get a basic idea of the best replication solution for the following type of situation:

A reporting application wants to use our main DB to do reporting as of a certain moment in time, several times a day. The main application, of course, needs to continually use that DB, and so, we need some sort of replication.

In addition, it is likely that there is a small number of tables that will need to be updated live by the reporting app, such as a job output table, which will contain details of executed jobs, both from the main app and reporting app. These tables have sequences which would conflict if records were inserted on both sides independently, and resolution of that after the fact may be difficult.

So, with that scenario, what is the best way to go? Between Replication (in its various forms), CDC, Streams, Logical Standby, what might work best? Any info is appreciated.

-George Received on Wed Dec 07 2005 - 11:28:21 CST