Re: password file on rac

From: Michel Cadot <micadot{at}altern{dot}org>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 07:11:55 +0100

<qnxodba_at_gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news: 1133910837.594337.208360_at_o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
| Version 10g R1, RH3u6 Linux, two node RAC, separate oracle homes
|
| When I issue the commands:
| login oracle_at_host1
| sqlplus / as sysdba
| alter user sys identified by foo;
| exit
|
| Next, at Linux OS on ***each host***:
|
| ls -al $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapw*
| (check date)
|
| When I altered my sys password (tested using same passwd value) the
| password file was only written on the instance where I logged in.
|
| Does this mean if I change the SYS password on a RAC system I have to
| log in every instance and repeat the process? (else my password files
| in separate homes may contain the wrong password)
|
| I did not find anything on Metalink, docs or google, but I may have
| missed something.
|
| Comments welcome.
|
| Regards,
|
| Mike

"Real Application Clusters Setup and Configuration", chapter 5 "Manually Creating Real Application Clusters Databases", section "Database Password and Role Management in Real Application Clusters":

<quote>
If you did not enable operating system authentication for the database server, then Oracle uses a password file for each instance of a Real Application Clusters database to authenticate user access to the database. Because these password files are private to each instance, you must administer passwords and roles in Real Application Clusters as follows:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/rac.920/a96600/mancrea.htm#1053089

Regards
Michel Cadot Received on Wed Dec 07 2005 - 00:11:55 CST