Re: Strange problem.

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 15:54:53 -0500

peter wrote:
> Nothing comes to mind right now, but as mentioned in entry#11 I do know
> that Jonathan's book Cost Based Fundamentals does mention it in Chapter
> 7 and a few other places. Bind peeking was something introducted in 9i.
> The performance guide does mention it.
>
> If you search asktom.oracle.com for "sqlplus and bind peeking" there
> are some things on it.
> --peter

I think the mystery is solved. It seems that the _unnest_subquery parameter was set to false. That's probably causing the optimizer to ignore the unnest hint. I'm still not sure why it's using it in the explain plan though. One would think that if the parameter keeps the optimizer from using a hint a run time, it would do the same when you run explain plan.

Any thoughts on this?

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"