Re: Strange problem.

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 12:32:27 -0500

Chuck wrote:
> I have an update that I'm trying to optimize.
>
> UPDATE PS_TL_PAYABLE_TIME
> SET PAYABLE_STATUS = 'RP'
> WHERE PAY_SYSTEM = 'NA'
> AND PAYABLE_STATUS NOT IN ('PD', 'DL')
> AND PAYROLL_REQ_NUM <> 1
> AND EXISTS (
> SELECT 'X'
> FROM PS_TL_XREF_TBL A, PS_PY_XREF_WRK B
> WHERE A.PAY_SYSTEM = 'NA'
> AND A.SEQ_NBR = PS_TL_PAYABLE_TIME.SEQ_NBR
> AND B.XREF_NUM = A.XREF_NUM
> AND B.PROCESS_INSTANCE = :1)
Before anyone suggests just adding indexes to PS_TL_PAYABLE_TIME, I've already done that. The cardinality was too low and the index got ignored. Besides, what I'm really trying to figure out now is not how to optimize the SQL, but why two statements with identical execution plans running against the same data on a static test database don't do the same number of consistent gets or run in the same amount of time.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"