Physical row sizes.

From: DaLoverhino <DaLoveRhino_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Nov 2005 18:56:22 -0800

Hello. Suppose I have a table with these fields:

id1 number
id2 number
id3 number
name varchar2(40);
address varchar2(200);
description varchar2(4000);

If name, address, and/or description is null, would the physical disk space that row inhabits be smaller than say if the fields were non-null? It probably depends on the environment, right? And if so, what things should I be looking into? And, in your experience, what do you typically see?

Finally, I'd like to index name, address, description by whether it's 'null' or 'non-null'. I want to delete rows with null values to them. Is there a special null/non-null index type which I can use? I don't want the overhead of a 'real' index.

Thanks. Received on Wed Nov 30 2005 - 20:56:22 CST