Re: informix market share

From: RollForward Wizard <rollforward_at_rollforward.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:25:53 -0500

DA Morgan wrote:
> RollForward Wizard wrote:

>> DA Morgan wrote:

>>> And apparently some do. But given Oracle's can be set up with not much
>>> more than a few mouse clicks how much simpler is it?
>>>
>> It's not just a few mouse clicks it's also the licensing scheme(s) that
>> are drastically different

> Whoa ... slow down. You made a specific statement about Oracle and now
> you are trying to blur the subject by bringing in differences in
> licensing: Not acceptable.

Daniel,

I haven't used the latest version of Oracle ( any Oracle ) since 9i, and I __AM__ an Oracle customer, having actually purchased the software. I can't tell you DB2 is or is not easier to set up with HADR than Oracle HADR, or whatever it is called. I do speak from my own experience over the past 20 years using non-Oracle databases and also installing Oracle on a couple of occasions. I marveled at the installation of Oracle, which never seemed to end, and the footprint was way over 5 GB for 9i, and I can't even remember what all that shit was that was installed. So, yes, to scratch the surface, I'll take a really big gamble and say DB2 is easier to learn than Oracle. The total installed footprint of DB2 was just a little over 500MB, and I think that was with extra stuff thrown in that I didn't need to install. HADR __COMES_WITH__ DB2, so it is seamlessly integrated into the system. It probably comes with Informix but I don't know I haven't really paid attention to Informix. I have actually set up HADR on DB2, and I know that if an old geezer like me can do it anybody can do it.

Oracle is more about corporate culture than anything really to do with technology, which is the point to my statements. Most of the purchase path has to be engineered at the very top of an organization simply because of the cost, and how Oracle is marketed, from the top down. It has worked well for Oracle, but that doesn't mean it's the right choice for every business, large or small. When people say they're dumping what they have and heading for Oracle, it's laughable because of the hidden costs associated with Oracle that will usually get people heading in the opposite direction once they actually connect with what Oracle is all about. It's not great software, it's not easy to learn, and it isn't a friendly company to do business with unless you're ready to really just piss your money away. God bless Larry Ellison, he plays ball with guys that love to spend money. If you're into his game God Bless You too. It just isn't for every business.

> Yes it is just a couple of mouse clicks in Oracle if one uses the
> recommended tool, OEM, to configure RMAN. Has been for years.
>

>>> Or are you making a vague reference to a neolithic version of Oracle
>>> long out of support?
>>
>> I'm not making any reference to Oracle other than if someone so chooses
>> to use it, then so be it.  But they really need to understand what they
>> are getting themselves into.

> And you don't think that your statement is equally true of any piece of
> software including their operating system? Would you recommend someone
> get into DB2 or Informix without really understanding it? Not even a
> newbie would say ... yeah go jump into an enterprise RDBMS without
> learning about it first.

I can tell you without any further discussion on this that Informix, DB2, Sybase, SQL-Server, MySQL, are ALL EASIER TO LEARN THAN ORACLE. There is no more to be said about it, you can crow till the fucking cows come home, Oracle is a beast compared to any other db out there, it is difficult to manage, has fewer options overall on how to use it, and it just sucks from an architectural standpoint. Now, believe what you want, you won't convince me otherwise. And I really don't care at this point whether or not you agree, there really is a lot of better choices than Oracle, period. Received on Mon Nov 28 2005 - 21:25:53 CST