Re: informix market share

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 14:07:36 +0100

xiaoxin wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm an Oracle DBA. The vendor of our current application is helpless.
> We are looking for a new one. The one my manager like most is based on
> informix/linux because of the application's functionalities. I try to
> convince him that moving to informix now isn't a good idea.
>
> Any help are appreciated.
>
> BTW, please don't use any technical points such as multiversioning and
> nonblocking reads. I need something that managers are interested in.
>
> Regards,
> Xiaoxin

What *are* managers interested in?
The size of their bonus/car/dick?
Pricing? Business running steadily and without interruption?

What?

Some managers think pricing is the issue (and will thus have a bonus at the end of the year because of "savings"). The fact that the business has 10 days downtime the next year is not coming out of their bonus (never seen a payback mechanism!), but -if at all- out of yours (your lack of knowledge/support/willingness to work 30 hrs that day causes you to have no bonus this year...).

By all means - if you are so unlucky to have a manager like that (and I hope he/she reads this!) and you find yourself still working for him, go Oracle XE (It's free!), and at least as stable as InForNix.
If you want the latter option, get an Oracle license for (licensed!) Linux, RedHat, or one of the other, supported Linux flavours.

And yes, there's some personal grunge here, could you tell :) ?

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...