Re: Oracle Selects Sun As Reference Platform ... again

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 11:14:19 -0600

On 2005-11-24, Rodrick Brown <rbrown> wrote:
> On 2005-11-24 15:05:12 -0500, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> said:
>
>> Rodrick Brown wrote:
>>> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message

>>> No surprise there, I really dont see how anyone with a half a brain
>>> could choose Linux over Solaris in the enterprise.
>>
>> I have numerous times. But then maybe I just self-classified as not
>> having half-a-brain. Sun machines, for years, have been overpriced
>> boat anchors compared with the competition from HP, IBM, and Apple.
>
> I do admit Sun did drop the ball when it came to performance and
> overall pricing on the Sparc line of hardware in the past, but that was
> years ago, Sun's new offerings is really superb, much better price and
> performance than anything you can get from Dell, HP, and IBM today.
>
> Do remember hardware is just one factor in the overall equation,

        Yup. But it's a pretty damn big one. It can easily determine if your application is going to work on the target platform or not.

> Solaris is the only UNIX OS that thrives on being innovative today in
> the Commerical UNIX space, with technologies like ZFS, Zones, & dtrace
> the ability to scale your system from 1 CPU to 106CPU's w/o changing 1

        You make it sound like all you have to do is throw your application onto a 6500 and your work is done. Well, it's not quite that simple. Even Oracle itself has had problems scaling on Sun's NUMA hardware.

> lick of code on your application still makes it one of the most robust
> systems today.
>
> I do respect Linux and I believe it has a place in the enterprise just
> not in the high performance database arena where every transaction is
> mission critical, LInux just has too many issues to be taken seriously
> where its essential that systems stay up, we have been bitten by so
> many kernel, driver, and application bugs its just riduclous. I blame

        This reminds me of the Solaris SGA_MAX_SIZE bug in 9.0.

[deletia]

--
NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club!                           |||
                                                                   / | \