Re: Oracle Selects Sun As Reference Platform ... again

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:21:57 GMT

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 22:06:11 +0000, Rodrick Brown wrote:

> And it still boggles my mind why people think Linux is free?

What makes Linux 'not free'?

I have been quite comfortable running my consultancy using Linux for several years. Based on my records, the administration costs are a lot lower than what I had for Windows. And I simply could not afford the price of Unix until the unixes needed to compete with Linux.

Plus the fact that OpenOffice.org costs a lot less than Microsoft Office, for the equivalent capability (within the set of capabilities that I need)

And now that Oracle XE is free and works like a champ on Linux, I'm as happy as a bug in a rug.

Mind you - for people who demand point-n-click-to-oblivion administration, Linux is not quite there. Needing to actually take training, or having to think when administering a system is, in fact, an expensive nightmare.

Finally - yes, I would have preferred Solaris, back when I was making decisions. I'd even invested in SMCC hardware. But Scott dropped the ball and now, it just doesn't matter.

So, in comparison to the others, Linux is not only free, it is actually paying me [in the cost savings] thru better administration (& security & lack_of_viruses & ...)

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com