10G on Itanium run very slow

From: <andkovacs_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Nov 2005 07:48:46 -0800

We have created a very simple test case on a new HP RX4640 Itanium server with 10G.
It runs Redhat 3 update 6 with Oracle 10G

The test case is simple: No I/O, simple query execution plan, small table, everything holds in the SGA but a lot of memory computation. The test case is simple as you can see:

select count(*)
from
(

select 	to_char(hist_timestamp,'YYYY/MM/DD'),
		ID,
		min(value),
		max(value),
		avg(value),
		sum(value)
from 	test_table

group by to_char(hist_timestamp,'YYYY/MM/DD'), ID );

Useless to ask for the query exec plan and the stat pack report. The only thing that we can see is that the CPU spins. Oracle has no idea what is going on, neither HP. However at least, both are trying to figure out what is wrong.

Anybody with similar experience on Itanium Red Hat 3 update 6 and 10g ?

Is there a trick on these Itanium servers ? Received on Thu Nov 24 2005 - 09:48:46 CST