Re: catalog.sql and deinstalling patchsets

From: <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Nov 2005 09:05:23 -0800

JuniorDBA wrote:
> Yes. But as soon as I bring the database up in production, while all
> applications are being tested, data is being input into the database.
> So if after data has been input, I find we have to roll it back, I
> don't want to use a cold backup because I'll loose that new data.
> Oracle says I have to do an export/import into a clean database. But I
> thought running catalog and catproc would recreate the data
> dictionary...and hence should be all I need?? What am I missing here??
> Thanks..

It's possible that what is missing is testing on a non-production system.

Is that so?

Re backing out of a patch: this is from the patch note for 9.2.0.6:

You cannot remove the patch set software after you have installed it. Oracle recommends that you back up the Oracle9i installation before applying the patch set. If you do not want to use a patch set applied to an Oracle9i installation, do one of the following:

    *

      Restore the Oracle9i installation that you backed up before applying the patch set.

    *

      Re-install Oracle9i.

]Rerunning the previous version of catproc.sql and catalog.sql will not necessarily put your database back to the way it was. Think about it: new objects and dependencies can be created by the upgrade. The old scripts don't know about that.

As far as a backup, you don't need a cold backup. A hot one works just fine. Received on Thu Nov 10 2005 - 11:05:23 CST