Re: Need help creating a database

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 00:22:26 GMT

"HansF" <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message news:pan.2005.11.08.23.41.46.600617_at_telus.net...
> On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 23:27:55 +0000, Randy Harris wrote:
>
> > I thought perhaps someone could spot something that I am doing wrong:
> > [oracle_at_dttrora oracle]$ export ORACLE_SID=tecno
>
> Three initial questions:
>
> 1) Can we assume ORACLE_SID does not represent an existing database?
> 2) Do you have other databases available at this time?
> 3) Why are you not using dbca to create this new database?
>
> --
> Hans Forbrich
> Canada-wide Oracle training and consulting
> mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com
> *** Top posting relies guarantees I won't respond. ***

  1. Yes. There is currently no database named "tecno" (I've tried other names - result the same) I am working on the assumption (perhaps this is wrong) that it will, by default, read the parameter file of the name initSID.ora (with SID subbed with content of $ORACLE_SID) from $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. It is in that file that I added "remote_login_passwordfile = none". I tried setting $ORACLE_SID to a value that did not have a corresponding file in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs, there was no difference in the result. I've also tried it without setting ORACLE_SID (I assume that makes no sense, since Oracle wouldn't know which db to connect to).
  2. Yes. There are several other databases on that system. They all have, however, password files. I've already trashed one of them, attempting to remove the password file. (I thought I followed the 9i docs, but must not have done it correctly.) I need to recover the password file from a backup tape.
  3. I don't have a real good reason for not using the dbca. The other databases were all created with it. In this case, the software vendor has supplied me with scripts for building this one manually. I would very much prefer to build it from his scripts rather than dbca, but need to be able to connect as sysdba to make his scripts work.

I very much appreciate everyone taking their time to help me with this. Randy Harris Received on Tue Nov 08 2005 - 18:22:26 CST